Dr Juanita Hoe RMN, DipHE, MSc, PhD
Senior Clinical Research Associate
University College London
Clinical Research Fellow / Admiral Nurse Practitioner (July 2004 - June 2008)
I have worked in older person's mental health care since qualifying in 1989 and started working at University College London in 2002 as a research nurse on studies involving people with dementia.
I took up the post of Clinical Research Fellow / Admiral Nurse Practitioner July 2004, which allowed me to continue my academic work and completion of my PhD investigating Quality of Life in Dementia, whilst also undertaking clinical work in North East London Mental Health Trust. During this time I had experience of representing Admiral Nursing at both a local and national level, which included:
- Spearheading the development of Admiral Nursing within the Borough of Redbridge
- Taking a lead role in the Dementia Training and Development Partnership, planning training in dementia care across the Borough of Redbridge
- Being a key member of the Admiral Nursing Governance Executive Committee (ANGEX), advising on issues related to Admiral Nursing practice and development
- Representing the charity Dementia UK and Admiral Nurses as part of the Anti-dementia Drug Alliance, a group consisting of all leading Dementia Charities and professional groups
- Taking a lead role in the development and implementation of the Research Strategy for Admiral Nursing in conjunction with John Keady, Professor of Admiral Nursing (Northumbria University)
- Being Nurse Representative at the IPA Consensus Conference: ‘Defining and measuring treatment benefits in dementia'.
My continued interest in developing psychosocial interventions to improve quality of life for people with dementia and their family caregivers led to my appointment as the research programme coordinator for the Support at Home - Interventions to Enhance Life in Dementia (SHIELD) project in July 2008.
I still provide clinical supervision to some Admiral Nurses and regularly work on Admiral Nursing DIRECT, the telephone helpline for carers and people with dementia, which is supported by the charity Dementia UK.